Mr. President, end this conflict!
On June 29, 2015 Churches for Middle East Peace sent a letter to President Obama urging him to:
- Make working to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict a priority during the time remaining for his administration;
- Consult with parties involved in a UN Security Council resolution planned by France that will include a framework and timeline for ending the occupation, with a view of voting affirmatively on a resolution with those parameters;
- Declare that Israeli settlements are “illegal” and reject language in U.S. legislation that would make trade protection of settlements a U.S. policy objective; and
- Declare Israeli expropriation of Palestinian land contrary to international conventions and laws.
The letter states, “Mr. President, we appreciate that you have struggled to seek a resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict from the beginning of your first term over six years ago. It is now clear that the parties themselves cannot be expected to make real progress towards an agreement unless they have strong reasons to do so.
We continue to pray for all the sons and daughters of the God of Abraham who suffer — both as the occupied and the occupier — and we pray for you in the challenging times ahead.” You may read the entire letter by clicking here.
CMEP is calling for U.S. Christians to join in this call by endorsing the letter and emailing President Obama. Click here to take action today.
This Easter Season marks the official re-launch of CMEP’s Banner Campaign! This campaign encourages houses of worship nation-wide to publicly proclaim their support for peace and justice for Palestinians and Israelis. With Easter signifying a time for new beginnings and hope, what better time could there be to start participating?
Check out go.cmep.org/wesupportpeace for more information about the campaign and how you can get involved today!
- [CMEP Bulletin] UN Issues Report on Gaza War; Israel Calls It Biased
- [National Event] "1913: Seeds of Conflict" June 30 PBS Broadcast
- [CMEP Bulletin] Former Israeli Ambassador Criticizes Obama
- [CMEP Bulletin] A Call for Peace Negotiations – But Qualified
- [Action] Stand for Palestinian Children; Urge Your MoC to Sign Letter